Nigerian Army has disbanded its legal team for Lagos State Judicial Panel, they are pulling out of the investigative hearing as more evidence resurfaces which confirms that soldiers shot at peaceful protesters in October 2020.

Read also: Lekki Shootings: Panel Gives Forensic Experts Four Days To Submit Report

S.N. Agwhe, a member of army counsel to the panel disclosed this on Saturday, he appeared before the panel on behalf of the army legal team, but said the job of the army counsel finished on November 21. He told the panel;
We do not have any further mandate to represent the army in any subsequent proceedings.
He reminded the panel that Akinlolu Kehinde, head of the army legal team, had earlier submitted a memo notifying the panel of the decision.

Read also: Lekki Tollgate Shooting: ‘Our Report Was Meticulously Researched’: CNN Replies FG

The last hearing on January 23 was the third time in a row that the army and its counsel failed to appear before the panel.


The panel chairman, Doris Okuwobi, a retired judge, however, warned that the army would not claim denial of fair hearing when the panel submits its findings to the government.

The Army’s withdrawal from the panel comes after Reddington Hospital testified to treating victims from the #EndSARS protest with bullet wounds on October 20, 21 and 22.

Petitioners alleged that soldiers opened fire at peaceful protesters, killing and injuring several protesters, which led to the Army being summoned before the judicial panel of inquiry.

Nigerian Army unwillingly admitted being at the scene of the Lekki shootings after initial denials. They still denied opening fire on the protesters, many of whom sat on the floor and were singing the national anthem.

The army said that officers were sent out to enforce a curfew that was imposed by Lagos State Government but didn’t open fire on peaceful protesters.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post